Conditions: Getting images free from the NMM requires fulfilling certain conditions. They give a 100% academic discount for runs below 1000 editions, as below.
‘Discounts on reproduction fees are available for images used on interior pages of scholarly and not-for-profit publications, see the table below. This discount does not include supply fees. A minimum £50 spend applies per order.’
|PRINT RUN||DISCOUNT N.B. MINIMUM FEE £50 + VAT|
|UP TO 3000||30%|
|UP TO 2000||50%|
|UP TO 1000||100%|
The £50 minimum fee is a cost but the images available for this cost if the conditions are fulfilled makes this offer a bargain. File under ‘nearly free’.
‘Conditions of free images
As long as low resolution files are already available on the Picture Library website:http://images.rmg.co.ukyou can download these files for free under the following conditions:
- Academic Press publications, scholarly journals and self-published family history books with a print or e-book run under 500.
(this does not include front or back cover use which does incur a fee).
- Academic thesis and student essays, which are not being published.
- Free educational lectures or classes.
- Private websites and blogs with a primarily informational purpose.
- Low resolution files are 72 dpi and 800 pixels maximum length.
- A maximum of 15 low resolution images can be used in any single project.
- If you re-print the project at a later date, then a fee would need to be paid for the re-print.
High resolution files are subject to a fee.’