Conditions: Images found on the above link are free to use for non-commercial use according to Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) licence
This licence allows you to:
- BY (Attribution): Copy, distribute, display and perform our copyrighted work – and derivative works based upon it – but only if you give us credit in the way we request.
- NC (NonCommercial): Copy, distribute, display, and perform our work – and derivative works based upon it – but for non-commercial purposes only.
- SA (ShareAlike): Distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs our work.
When you reuse content under a Creative Commons licence that requests attribution we ask that you include the following text in your attribution:
- Title of the content
- Author or creator of the content
- Date of the content
- Name of the copyright holder
- Details of the Creative Commons licence under which the content is reused
- Link to the page our website from which the image was taken or webpage address if a printed publication
- Details of any alternations to the content (cropping of images, extracted quotations, etc.)
Creative Commons defines commercial use as “reproducing a work in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation”.
The Science Museum considers the following to be commercial (this list is not exhaustive):
- use in a product or service that is commercial, such as books and journals;
- use that promotes a product or service that is commercial;
- use by charities, including the trading arms of charities and
- free-entry events (including lectures) that promote a product of services;
The Science Museum considers the following to be non-commercial (this list is not exhaustive):
- use in websites that are personal, academic or research oriented and not promoting or undertaking any commercial activity;
- use on personal social media accounts, provided the individual is not promoting themselves commercially;
- free-entry events (including lectures) that are primarily educational, including promotional material for such events;
- educational and classroom use;
- use in a public space so long as the use is not promoting a product or service;
For all commercial usage, contact Science and Society Picture Library.